A village and Parish in the District of Ryedale, in North Yorkshire lying within the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and including a Conservation Area in the heart of the village itself.
Lying some 17 miles north of York City centre and 8 miles west of Malton, the village is well served with a village shop/ cafe, a C of E Primary School and it’s own doctors surgery with dispensary. All Saint’s Church is a prominent feature in the village, next to which is Terrington Hall private Preparatory School. The village pub is currently under refurbishment and is expected to re-open in 2016. Just outside and linking the main built up area to the grouping of houses that comprises Little Terrington is a lavender farm with cafe. Other amenities include a mobile Post Office.
Terrington also incorporates the spread-out rural hamlet of Mowthorpe, reached by passing the very active Terrington Village Hall with it’s playing fields, childrens play area and tennis court beyond which are the village Burial Ground and an adjacent private cemetery. Surrounded by picturesque farmland in undulating countryside there are views from around the village of the distant North York Moors, Yorkshire Wolds and the Vale of York.
Mentioned in the Domesday Book , it is thought, as Tenritone the origin of the name is uncertain. One derivation is from Tiefrung, linked to the history of a Roman villa. Another is that of the Anglo-Saxon term for witchcraft. Or, could it be the name of a Saxon man’s farm. He was Teofer and Tun was his farm.
Following the Norman conquest, we find lands around the present Parish divided lying in the manors of Bulmer and Foston before some lands followed the descent of the manor of Sheriff Hutton and in the 13th Century, the manor of Danby. Around 1427, much of the land holding was in the hands of the Lord of Sessay Manor and his family, lasting until 1752 when they sold to Henry Howard, 4th Earl of Carlisle whose family went on to prosper in the estate of Castle Howard, they still own today. Other areas of land came under the control of the Luttrell family of Appleton le Street.
Now lands in and around the village of Terrington are influenced by current or past Castle Howard ownership with odd pockets owned or controlled by other estates. Now largely in assorted private ownership with private rented houses some Housing Association homes, the village has evolved over the years always retaining it’s rural Yorkshire character.
Politically the Parish of Terrington is within Hovingham Ward, in the District of Ryedale, part of the constituency of Thirsk and Malton, part of the County of North Yorkshire.
Population figures showed in the 2011 census 459 residents. Interestingly, in 1881 this was 685 when most of the people worked in or around the village. Times have changed here as everywhere but there is still a positive sense of community.